Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Egg like protrusion on upper left side of groin area. Done strenuous biking. How long will it take to heal?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9335 Questions
I just discovered an egglike protrusion on the upper left side of my groin area. There is no pain but if I exert strenght into my lower abdomen it puffs of like a half an egg. Do I need to do anything or can I just watch to see if it will heal by itself. I noticed it happened after doing some very strenuous biking on hills which I do only once in a great while.
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
It sounds like inguinal hernia. This is commonly seen especially in people that do exercise and sports. If there is protrusion of hernia during cough or whike doing abs,then this is definitely hernia. It wont heal spontaneously,but also it wont cause some serious symptoms unless it become strangulated. In this case you would have pain and redness in groin area. So it can only be surgically repaired by simple one hour procedure in local anasthesia. It is up to you will yoh nd when undergo surgery. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Egg like protrusion on upper left side of groin area. Done strenuous biking. How long will it take to heal? 25 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Sorry, but I couldn't understand the sentence you wrote towards the end: "It is up to you will yoh nd when undergo surgery". Could you please explain what you meant? Thank you for your time and attention. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
it means that you decide if you want to have surgical repir or not depending on how much it bothers you. If you have pain o burning sensation aroubd it then consult surgeon. I recommend to have surgery as soon as you can because it wont pull back completely by itself and surgery is simple and permanent solution.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor