Effected with molar pregnancy. Had herpes zoster. Will molar pregnancy return? How to avoid?

Posted on Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: dear sir
my wife has effected with molar pregnancy last one a year back we had cleaned afterwards,now my wife is pregnant just confirmed 6 weeks completed,what is chances of repeat of molar pregnancy,what are reasons for molar pregnancy,what are the remedy actions and precautions we have to take to aviod from molar pregnancy this time,plz kindly give suggitions,
my wife also effected with virul herpes zoster 8 days before we confirm pregnancy,after that we had taken Acyclovir as advised by Dermtologist,is this will effect baby ,we can continue our pregnancy or not.plz give remedy actions ,what are chances(%) of repeat of herpes zoster and molar pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

The chances of having molar pregnancy again is about 1-2 %.

There is nothing that can be done to prevent this from happening again. This normally happens due to some genetic defect in the formation of egg, due to which the tissue which is to be converted in to fetus, grows abnormally and becomes mole.

It is good that you have kept a interval of 1 year between next pregnancy. Please remain in regular touch with your Gynecologist as soon as this pregnancy is diagnosed and as per his advise go for investigations like ultrasound which can help.

It is unfortunate that she had Herpes in the beginning of pregnancy. Acyclovir is not extensively studied in pregnancy, still report of this drug causing major side effects when taken in early pregnancy are not there. This is catogory B drug for pregnancy, so it is used widely even in pregnant patients so there is nothing to worry.

I would suggest you to visit a XXXXXXX Gynecologist in your city to discuss this with him/her. By and large there is not great risk to the fetus but constant and proper monitoring of this pregnancy is must.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil
Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani