Dry cartilage between knee bones. Having knee pain. Any effective medicine?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Arthritis
Question: Hi,
I am asking on behalf of my mother. She have knee pain problem and the reason for this is that the cartilage between the knee bones is almost dried up. So I just wanted to know is their any kind of medicine for regenerating the cartilage between knee bones. I went through one herbal product from myvesige company called "Vestige Glucosamine" which helps in regenerating the cartilage between knee bones. Please confirm me if this is good and reliable product or if any other better product is available in market.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From the description , it seems your mother might be suffering from osteoarthritis knee, which is a degenerative joint disease.

Glucosamine and Chondrotin supplements have been marketed as disease-modifying options in osteoarthritis. Glucosamine is safe but the benefit is variable. Compelling evidence exists that Glucosamine sulfate may reduce the progression of knee osteoarthritis.

So your mother can take a trial of these drugs under supervision of her doctor.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Can you please tell me if there is another medicine apart from glucosamine which can be really benificial and also clinically proved and without any side effects?

Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 7 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query again.

As I had already mentioned beside glucosamine, chondroitin supplements have been marketed as disease -modifying options in osteoarthritis. But these drugs have also some side effects on long term use.

If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Thanks for your response. I need answer for below queries:
1. What are the side effects of these drugs in long term use?
2.If after taking this medicine for 1 month or two month pain is reduced, how I will be sure whether these drugs are really helping in generating cartilage and till what time my mother needs to continue the medicine?
3.What are the chances of success of knee replacement in India? Do you suggest such kind of surgery for osteoarthritis patients and if yes in which case?

Please answer all my queries point wise patiently and then i will be able to close this discussion

Best Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

1.The most common side effects occur that have been reported are gastrointestinal in nature, such as upset stomach, nausea, heartburn and diarrhea. Taking glucosamine and/or chondroitin sulfate with food seems to reduce the incidence of the above side effects.
To date, no significant side effects have been reported, although long-term studies on the safety of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements still need to be completed.

2.There are no such guidelines till date. There are no long-term studies to confirm their long-term safety and effectiveness.

3.Now in India knee replacement is a common surgery with good sucess rate. It is most commonly performed in people with advanced osteoarthritis. It should be considered when conservative treatments have been exhausted. It can be performed to correct mild valgus or varus deformity.

I hope that clears your doubts.

Wishing you good health..
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan