Done with home care test for bowel cancer. Suggest

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Colon Cancer
Question: I did a home care test for bowel cancer and sent it off.They want me to do another one.I have not seen any symptoms.I am very worried.Does this mean there is a good chance I have it?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It can be false positive also. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. At home, fecal occult blood test is done to find out any blood in the stool. If the test is positive, then you need to consult your physician for further tests. This can be positive in some non cancerous conditions also like hemorrhoids, polyps, etc. It is best to repeat the test and then follow up with your physician. Right now it is too premature to worry. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later
Dr.Tayal,thanks for your reply.What are the chances of recovery/treatments for bowel cancer?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Depends on the cancer stage. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The recovery from colon cancer depends on the stage of the cancer. It is right now too premature to think about cancer since the home test is a non specific test. The recovery and remission is possible in early stages with proper treatment. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards