Does swallowing Atorvastatin by a newborn require ER consultation?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi my 19mo th daughter swallowed one pill from my dad’s prescription Atorvastatin? I called poison control right away they said to give her fluids and said it should not be a big problem.

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Right suggestion given

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I think that the poison control has given the right suggestions. Giving fluids and ORS (oral rehydration solution) would ensure that a fluid electrolyte imbalance does not occur. Other than that any other adverse effect does not seem likely. However, in case you observe any presentation that seems out of place, it would be advisable to take the child to the emergency department and to place her under observation.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T