Does stress and anxiety cause neuropathy symptoms?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
hi i have been suffering neuropathy type symptoms for 18 months and they all started after only a couple of weeks of commencing statins (hell of a coincidence if you ask me). I stopped them over a year ago and the symptoms have remained to this day (pins and needles that come and go in my feet, cramps in feet, dry and cracked heels, carpel tunnel symptoms in hands and some strange feelings in my back (what feels like numb patches). I've seen a neurologist and attached is his report, I've had all sorts of blood tests done such thyroid, diabetes, B12 levels, MRI's on spine and brain and all clear etc etc but nothing comes up. I know things aren't right in my body and I don't know where else to go. I am happy that my nerves in my feet are firing normally. I've read a bit about stress/anxiety causing all sorts of nerve related issues, could this be my problem or have you got any other ideas that I can/.should be invetigating?
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Does not seem to be a significant illness

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query and getting back with more details.

I have noted your symptoms and would like to reassure you that your symptoms, findings and investigations rule out a serious neurological disease.

More importantly, conditions such as ALS and MS have been excluded.

As of now, it seems to be a mild neuropathy/radiculoapthy, coupled with anxiety and stress.

At present, no further tests are needed.

You should continue with exercises and physiotherapy.

For pins and needles, pregabalin capsules may be useful.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Does stress and anxiety cause neuropathy symptoms? 9 minutes later
Thanks, I have read people's reviews of using benfotiamine with some amazing results to address neuropathy symptoms. I have purchased some and going to give them a go do u think these are safe and worth a go?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Agree with benfotiamine

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I agree that benfothiamine is a good nerve vitamin supplement and I routinely use them in my patients with neuropathy.

So, you can safely go ahead with using that.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Does stress and anxiety cause neuropathy symptoms? 7 hours later
Hi I have a couple more follow questions and then I will be on my way. I want to get a ct scan on my right foot as my physio thinks I might have a hairline stress fracture but i am concerned about the radiation from the scan and what it could do in relation to damaging my nerves (further) in my feet as they are already disturbed from the mild neuropathy? Should the ct scan be ok to have?
Also I have to reduce my cholesterol and won't go back on Lipitor after contracting mild neuropathy, I am looking at starting lipidil (which is a fenebrate) do you think the fenebrate won't cause any neurological issues like I suffered fr the statin?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can undergo CT scan.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

There is a mild risk of radiation exposure, however, we do not expect any significant effect on the nerve due to that. So, you can undergo CT of the foot.

Also, fenofibrate is safe for the nerves, and it would lead to any ill-effect on the nerves like statins. So, you can start fenofibrate.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)