• question-icon

Does sepsis result in death?

Posted on Fri, 20 Jan 2017 in Infections
Question: I what is the timeframe from sepsis symptoms to death?
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no such indication

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on Health Care Magic.
It is not a must that all the sepsis leads to death .
It depends on the existing Co -morbidities, even if you are diabetic if it is well controlled nothing will happen.
Sepsis if managed early and managed well it can be treated .
Cause has to be found out and broad spectrum antibiotic has to be started early .
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rajaram KG 25 minutes later
I understand your answer but maybe you didn't quite understand my question. I'm sitting here looking at my symptoms and trying to decide whether or not I should go to the ER. I was wondering, if I do indeed have sepsis, how long can I wait to actually go to the ER before I have waited too late? Can I go to sleep and wake up in a few hours and re-evaluate?

My current symptoms are heart rate 95 ( it is usually 70 ), temp at 96.3. Difficulty breathing, I did have severe shaking but now I am only shaking a little bit. My blood oxygen level is at 83 percent, even though I have my oxegen machine on (set at 2 liters). I have reduced urine output - can barely squeeze a few drops, which is a drastic change from 2 days ago, and I am sweating profusely with sweat dripping down my nose.
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is pulmonary edema

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, your question came to me in bits and pieces. Just saw the entire issue.
Looking at your symptoms I would recommend you to go to the ER , as I feel you might have devoloped pulmonary edema which is accumulation of fluid in the lungs.
That has to be evaluated and treated early so I would advice you to go to the ER .
Meanwhile you can increase the flow of oxygen in your machine to 4 litres per minute.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Follow up: Dr. Rajaram KG 17 minutes later
Dr. Haleema;
Thank you very much for your help. My favorite doctor was from XXXXXXX She left private practice and went to work for the Veteran's Administration. She was wonderful and you seem to be also.

Thanks again, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Mr XXXXXXX

Hope you get well soon.Take care

Best wishes
Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon