Does lymecline and tetralysal affect microgynon?
Thanks for posting your query.
Lymecline/tetralysal being broad spectrum tetracycline group antibiotics may reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives like microgynon.
However there is no evidence of definite drug interactions between them .
Theoretically the levels & action of oral contraceptives(mainly estrogen content) are reduced when any enzyme inducing drug i.e antiepileptics, antibiotics etc are taken.
Another problem is that broad spectrum antibiotics affect the normal gut flora which is required for adequate levels of hormone absorption through gut.
Theoretically a short term course of lymecline/tetralysal is unlikely to cause any significant decrease in the efficacy of the microgynon.However there have been cases of contraceptive failure due to their concomitant use.Hence I would advise you to consult your doctor before using them simultaneously.Also to be on the safer side its best to use barrier contraceptives (condom) in addition to the pill for the current cycle if you are taking antibiotics simultaneously.
Hope that answers your query.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Will microgynon work while taking tetralysal
- Can tetralysal stop microgynon
- Will tetralysal 300 affect effectiveness microgynon 30
- Does tetralysal stop microgynon from working
- Tetralysal and microgynon 30
- Tetralysal and microgynon
- Can you take microgynon while on tetralysal?
- Will taking tetralysal affect the microgynon 30 pill
- Does lymecline and tetralysal affect microgynon
- For how long does tetralysal affect microgynon 30