Does low iron cause nausea, palpitations and numbness?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi there. I was told my iron is low...blood test showed 29. The past couple of days I have had numbness in my hands or feet, heart palpatations and have been extremely exhausted with some nausea. Could this be from low iron or should I be worried about something else?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Did you do a ful blood count?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this low blood iron. Iron is central in the production of red blood cells and low iron can and would lead to anemia. Anemia principally manifests with shortness of breath, palpitations, increased heart rate, fatigue, dyspnea during exercise, etc. If your blood count was done, please upload the results for interpretation and recommendations. if it was not done, I will suggest you get a full blood count and lets look at the various parameters linked to iron for orientation, further investigation and treatment.

Have you had any recent blood loss like in stools, excessive menstrual flow, etc.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services this day. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi there. This is the most recent blood work completed.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These findings are all normal!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for uploading the test results.

I have analyzed every bit of it and for sure they are all very normal and in n way suggest blood shortage(anemia) or low iron. If you were told you had low irons, that conclusion must have been made using a different set of tests and not these results uploaded.

Though the test showed 29, this is well in the reference range for normal intervals as shown on the test result. we cannot make that conclusion from this result. Beside, your hemoglobin is normal and that is what iron is used for!

What remains true is the fact that you have worrisome symptoms. What the exact cause is cannot be determined at this tie. I will suggest you make another trip to your doctor for these symptoms to be evaluated and investigated if need be for appropriate diagnosis and management.

n all, no iron deficiency. Symptoms need further evaluation for diagnosis and management.

Let me hear what your thoughts are. I wish you well.