Does treatment of anxiety take six months to show positive results?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 8 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: I wanted to use our last conversation as a basis of my two questions but Ill have to just hope you remember what we talked of just a few weeks ago.
I have Chronic Anxiety, I have GAD and have been in a chronic state for 4 years since my mother died from COPD at 91. Any way, I have been told by Pulmonologists and anxiety internet web sites that with my anxiety being chronic that long, it could take a good amount of time to come down to a calm state, and that simple events, thoughts or physical actions can trigger a increase of anxiety. My anxiety triggers breathing issues of dyspnea according to doctors. One of the pulmonologist who has seen my medical records is certain that i have no lung disease but i do have small airway disorder that is affected by the anxiety. He also said that it could take a while to calm state and it could take as long as 6 months.
So is the time to wait reasonable from what they said,
Is the simple triggering a factor to consider
And last is the anxiety the most likely problem as the PUlmonologist said?
Oh, my anxiety is not causing breathing hyperventalation but inability to take in a good breath, just like an obstruction from COPD. All tests have ruled copd as no.
I failed to mention that after our last text, I focused my attention elsewhere and for a few days it seemed to go away but slowly has returned.

I also forgot to use your private access address, will use in future
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back to me for further elaboration of anxiety and its manifestations. First of all I must assure you that I remember clearly about you and what I answered almost three weeks back.

Coming to your questions In my opinion the management of anxiety is long process and such arbitrary deadlines do not work on most occasions. Six months is the time where majority respond to a great extent. Some of the individuals respond very early after proper understanding with the problem while few others fail to understand the manifestations of anxiety in clear sense and so take more time than others. In my opinion rather than waiting for xyz number of months the focus should be on the management of stress and anxiety.

There is nothing can be considered simple or small. Whatever brings significant anxiety (Have impact on your life either psychologically or physically) should be dealt as per the need. For example you have feeling of anxiety on certain neutral place does not mean it is small trigger and can not be left out while dealing with stress and anxiety.

Regarding COPD I like to make it clear that it can be diagnosed with available tests and if the tests are negative you can take the results at face value. There is no need to doubt on the ruling out possibility of diagnosis of COPD if the tests showed nothing in this regard.

Your admission that you focused your attention somewhere over the few weeks also suggests clearly that the problem is anxiety rather than anything else. Most organic conditions (read COPD) remain at the same level or worsen if not treated while the psychological conditions (read anxiety) improve when we are not dealing with them in one to one manner.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 33 hours later
Thank you for your candid resply. I am glad you said that there is no real time and 6 monthsis an arbitrary number. i said that number with an idea that i need longer than that. I also understand triggerscan come in various degrees of sensation and response
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks a lot for your feedback

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up and feedback.

I am glad to know that you have good understanding about the problem. This understanding is very important as it determines the final outcome on positive direction.

I will be happy to answer more questions if any.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T