question-icon

Does intake of Tofacitinib help in treating alopecia areata?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016
Question: I have read research about tofacitinib and another rheumatoid arthritis medication showing success for treatment of Alopecia. Is this simply in research stage or can it be subscribed by doctors at this time.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It's still under research stage...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I a
understand your concern.

Alopecia areata (AA) is an immune mediated disease with interferon playing an important role. Activation of inflammatory response is through JAK kinase mediated by INFs signal.

Etacitinib works by inhibiting JAK kinase, thus blocking further inflammation that ends up to hair loss.

It is still in the experimental phase as studies are needed to confirm this effect. Furthermore, its use is associated with severe side effects.

Hope it answered to your question.
Dr.Albana

Dr. Albana Sejdini