Does hiatal hernia surgery complications result in tortuous esophagus?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Thanks, I have had 4 heiIatel hernia repairs over the past 4 years and it is back again. The last repair was 2 years ago and at the same time they did a barriatic bypass not for weight control but for diabetes control, the good news is that the diabetes is gone. The bad news is I keep losing weight because of the very few things that I can east without them getting stuck in my esophagus. I have gone to the Mayo to get some help, but no answers. This past 11/17 I had an upper GI endoscopy there and they did a balloon dialation and found a "tortuous esophagus". I have not a clue what this is or means. Since 11/17 I have had 2 episodes of continuous nausea that is continuous for 2 to 3 days, 1 trip to ER helped it quit and the other I just took Zofran. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you, XXXXXXX Trimble
Thu, 10 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tortuous esophagus is complication of surgery.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.
A tortuous esophagus is the irregular curvature of the esophagus relative to its normal position between the mouth and the stomach,In your case its a complication of histel hernia surgery.In lay mans language-tortuous distal esophagus just means that the path that the distal esophagus takes is not a straight line, but more of a zig zag path.Surgery like that can cause scar tissue and this scar tissue can cause the distal esophagus to be tortuous in path and not a straight line because of your prior surgical repair.A CT scan should be done to rule out outer scar tissue.
In a normal human being, the esophagus is a straight pipe. Consequently, a tortuous esophagus that causes the pipe to twist, flex and narrow can be very painful.Its very common in patients with hiatel hernia surgery.

Hope i expained you well.
Feel freecto follow up!

r.

Follow-up: Does hiatal hernia surgery complications result in tortuous esophagus? 14 hours later
Thank you for your answer, it makes it quite a bit more understandable. Approximately 1 month ago at one of my trips to the ER I had a CT scan done and the dr. mentioned a bit of scar tissue at site of the Roux-en-Y. Is there anything more than can be done with either surgery, medication or continued frequent dilation?
I appreciate your insight.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again my dear patient,
Unless you are having increase in frequency of symptoms or any other problem has started i don’t think that tortous esophagus needs to be treated either surgically or medically.
Mild scaring etc are normal and no further intervention is required.
Regards!