Does gluten allergy and celiac disease cause heart palpitations,headache body aches and breathlessness?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i am a 39 year old diagnosed with celiac disease about 6 yrs ago. i used to eat gluten anyways and it basically gave me diarrhea. But here recently i have had heart palpitations every time i eat wheat products with headache body aches and shortness of breath. when i cut out wheat products it goes away in a day or two but my friend told me that i should have an epipen do you think my gluten allergy may have worsened enough to need that.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Epipen helps in acute life threatening conditions Detailed Answer: Dear Friend You have to avoid gluten containing food , that's the only way out for you. Epipen is epinephrine , it has nothing to do with chronic conditions. It is used for acute allergic reaction. So , no point in taking it. If you have noticed that your new symptoms of palpitations , breathlessness appear only when you take gluten containing diet , it might be because of this. But still, i would advise you to get a cardiac evaluation done. Get an ECG , Xray Chest, just to rule out other condition un related to Celiac disease. Eating gluten free diet is the only solution to your problem. I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any , feel free to ask me. Stay Healthy
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 11 minutes later
I had an ekg. and x ray at the er and they said it was picture perfect. i understand no gluten.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gluten-free diet Detailed Answer: If you understand no gluten , then you don't need me :-) If Xray , ECG and other investigations are normal, be happy , and enjoy gluten free diet. If you don't have any further query , kindly close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy