• question-icon

Does frequent masturbation worsen varicocele?

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Testicle Problems
Question: Hi, Two years ago, I had been diagnosed with mild varicocele in my left testicle. My sperm count was 7 million. DO I require surgery? Does frequent masturbation worsen varicocele? Can I work out in the gym? I used to earlier but have stopped since the diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information

Detailed Answer:

If the varicocele is the cause of low sperm count, then surgery will be helpful.
As you have only 7 millions, surgery may improve the count.

Another important factor is motility. I would like to know the percentage of motility and any other investigations which are relevant to your concerns.

Masturbation doesn't worsen varicocele.

You can continue with the workouts in gym.

Please consult a Urologist and proceed accordingly.

Waiting for your reply.
Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 days later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.
As per your requirements, I will send you a copy of my semen analysis report shortly.
There was a note in the report which stated : "SEMEN SHOWS INCOMPLETE LIQUEFACTION HENCE VIABILITY AND MOTILITY CANNOT BE ASSESSED."

Also for the past two months, I've notice that my penis tilts about 30-45 degrees to the left when erect. It is not curved, it tilts to the left from the base. This was not the case before. Kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tilt of the penis is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The viability and motility of the sperms are very important to assess the fertility.
You can repeat the test.
Slight tilt to the left when erect is normal.
You need not worry.
If you come back with latest semen analysis report, I will clarify further.
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 days later
About the tilt of the penis, it was not the case before....this has started occurring in the past two months. Could it be related to erectile dysfunction??

By the time i get the semen analysis report, this discussion would have closed automatically...how do i contact you again?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some degree of tilt is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Some degree of tilt is common to penis even though it started recently.
It is not related to erectile dysfunction.
You should consult your Urologist for clinical examination.
You can contact me by asking Direct question to me even though this discussion is closed. Then, no one can answer that question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon