Does exercises help to get relief from knee pain and reduce body weight?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,

I use to go to my office GYM almost alternative days. I ran for 30 Mints to 60 Mints based on my energy.

Problem:-
1.I do have a problem of Knee pain.

I do warm up excise and Leg excise , Proper stretching.

2.I want to reduce my body weight :-

As of now I am 74 KG. I am doing good work out at GYM . I do have control on my food (I have normal food).

My stamina is increasing. But weight is not reducing. (I burn almost 1000 calories / day).

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX and Thanks for posting your query.

First of all, realize that in order to diminish your knee pain you are going to have to make cardiovascular training mandatory. Walking, biking, swimming, and rowing are all great ways to keep your heart rate up while participating in minimal weight bearing activities preferably all days of the week.

Avoid exercises, such as jogging and jumping that put more stress on your joints which in turn will increase your knee pain. Cardiovascular training, in combination with healthy eating habits, is a great way to improve your health and obtain your weight loss goals.

Along with the cardiovascular training 3-5 days per week, there are exercises you can do specific to strengthening the muscles surrounding your knee. Your knee comprised of 4 ligaments, 2 menisci, and many muscles. Strengthening those muscles and ligaments will help maintain knee stability.

Although the exercises vary depending upon the type of pain you are experiencing, here are a few general exercises to get you started.
Straight Leg Raises
Wall Squats
Stand with feet shoulder width apart next to a wall or railing. Lift your heels off of the ground as high as possible. Slowly lower heels back to the ground and repeat.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.