Does drinking excessive amounts of water reduce the effectiveness of anti-TB medication?

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Infections
Question: With anti tubercular lymphadentis treatment for last three and half months please help me out with these three questions:
1) sir I have no symptoms or any thing but have swallow lymph node in my neck and the diagnosis established through FNAC , within 7th week of my treatment my lymph node regressed.now my ESR was normal from starting.and my chest PA in first week of my treatment shown reticular opacities ,the doctor told me that due to swallow lymph node in bilateral mid zone of chest it is showing like that.
2) now as I am daily taking my medicines Akurit 3 now asking you if at I take two glass or more than two glass of water will it make the tablets of Akurit 3 ineffective.as I am thinking that more water will make absorption less
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
tubercular lymphadentis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
I do understand your pain and discomfort.

As per your chest radiographic findings is concerned, i may advise you to do one CT scan as you have no symptoms at all and on medications.

Secondly take [Akurit 3 ] before 30 minutes of breakfast in the morning.There is no evidence that by drinking water more than 2 glass will make absorption less.

I hope I was able to address your query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to write to me.
Wishing you all the best.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 10 hours later
sir I am daily taking my medicine ,my urine colour is almost orange in color for half of day as I drink lot of water it become normal in evening,now I always maintain the gap between medicine and breakfast,my lymph node also regressed I have only two query 1) if at all we take water more than two glass my daily dose will not effect na ,at present I take 4 tablets of Akurit 3 with one and half glass of water XXXXXXX ,this consumption of water wiill not effect my dose na sir,
2)my chest PA as per latest dated: 01/02/2017 is clear will it be more clear during end of my treatment
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
tubercular lymphadenitis

Detailed Answer:
As per your question, i may say that your urine color is normal after taking medicine.I suggest you to drink plenty of water after 1-2 hours of taking medication.Now you are taking right amount of medicine per day and continue with it and water will not affect its dose.And finally i want to say that you will be 100% cure and there will not be any complications to your lungs in near future.
(Thanks)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 23 hours later
sir i take medicine after cleaning the teeth and took every precaution that the Saiva with paste should not be swallowed and clean my mouth fully and after 10 minutes took the medicines ,as this medicines have to be taken empty stomach I took each precaution such that even the saliva with paste also not to be swallowed ,taking medicine afcleaning teeth will not compromise my daily dose na sir ,as I am empty stomach at that time also
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tubercular lymphadenitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi, it is good to take all precautions mentioned in medical drugs literature's and continue your medication and every 15 day check your body weight and add a multivitamin REJUVIT PLUS CAPS at bedtime once a day which is a non prescription medicine.(Thanks)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy