Does cannabis smoking cause silicosis?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am a 33 year old man looking for much needed piece of mind, please can you help.

I am suffering with severe anxiety following the passing of my mother last year from Lung Cancer, she was a smoker of 26 years.

Regretfully, I previously smoked cannabis for 9 years intermittently but have now quit for 1.5 years and absolutely will not be doing this again, I am now teetotal due to my past. I used to smoke on average 8-10 joints per week, but did have long periods of abstinence.

I have read a historical articles in the newspaper regarding potential 'contaminated' cannabis in circulation throughout the UK, aptly given the street name 'grit weed'. The contamination specifically involved small glass particles and silicone spray. There are some really scary stories that this could result in users developing Silicosis in the lungs .

However, experts from the Imperial College London state that these particles are too large to be ingested.

Also, when this substance was smoked, there were noted symptoms of tight chest, coughing and mouth sores, all of which I have not had. I am actually in good health and have never had any persistent coughs to speak of.

Do you suggest that I need to arrange an X-Ray or CT scan? Or given my limited exposure, and the length of time and level of exposure required to acquire silicosis, there is no need. I certainly hope the latter is the case!

My anxiety is very high at the moment and I'm really hoping you can help as I don't know where to turn.

Thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry for sillicosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
No need to worry for sillicosis.
You are not having this.
You are not having cough or any other symptoms.
So no need to worry for sillicosis.
For occurrence of sillicosis, large amount of silica dust should be exposed to prolonged time.
This kind of exposure is nor possible with cannabis smoking.
So no need to worry for sillicosis.
But if you really want to reduce your anxiety then get done chest x ray. Once chest x ray report is normal, your anxiety will also subside.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 30 minutes later
That is fantastic Doctor, thank you so much.

So in your opinion, there is no need to have a chest x-Ray? These are not offered on the NHS under these circumstances so I would prefer not to have to pay privately.
Plus, I hugely trust your judgement
And this will be sufficient for my anxiety doctor

Am I right I thinking that the exposure to this dust poses a risk when on a daily basis over a number of years?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for chest x ray.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Yes, no need for chest x ray.
It will come negative only.
Better to avoid anxiety regarding this.
You are not having sillicosis.
And yes, your understanding is right.
For development of sillicosis, prolonged exposure of sillica dust daily is must.
Since you are not having this so no worries.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.