Does Propafenone causes muscle and joints pain in upper shoulders and arms?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Thank you..Does Propafenone 150mg 3x's a day cause muscle and joint pain and also now taken with Warfarin 5.0 mg's on Mondays and Fridays and other days 2.5 mgs. INR taken once a week at home and reported into the company. Other words doctor is monitoring. OH AND I HAVE A PACEMAKER SINCE 2008.

I HAVE EXTREME MUSCLE AND JOINT PAIN IN UPPER SHOULDERS AND ARMS.
Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment and safer anticoagulation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Propafenone is an antidysrhythmic drug and may cause such musculoskeletal pains however age related arthralgias also can explain this and is more likely cause of it. ALeve for sure is black box warning for cardiovascular profile so safe NSAIDs like ibuprofen or pain killers like NSAIDs and muscle relaxants and home remedies like massage and warm compressions should be used.

With pacemaker history and warfarin intake, i don't recommend warfarin's and advise to go for safer anticoagulation like rivaroxaban or fondaparinux. you will be spared of the headache of weekly INR monitoring too.

Nutshell adequate analgesia for the pain and symptomatic care and safer anticoagulation over warfarin is advised.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan