Does Minocycline interfere with HIV testing?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi ,
i am a 32 Male. I had unprotected sex around 5 years ago with a female friend of mine .
I had recently developed Boils on my Scalp and back and hence my Dermatologist Put me on Minocycline .
out of anxiety i went ahead and did a HIV 1\2 AG\AB 4th Generation test and it came out negative .
1) so does the Minocycline interfere with HIV testing ?
2) Can i trust My Test results.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Minocycline is an antibiotic that fights bacteria. It only affects bacteria, not other microorganisms like viruses or fungi. As it does not affect viruses, it would not alter the antigen part of the HIV test nor decrease the antibodies you would have to a virus (the antibody part of the test).

By 5 years, if you have HIV, you would have detectable levels of antibodies to HIV. The 4th generation test is 99.97% accurate at detecting these antibodies by 3 months from exposure and increases in accuracy even further after 6 months.

So:
No, the minocycline will not interfere with HIV testing.
Yes, you can trust these test results.

I hope this information helps.