Does Methotrexate interact with Clindamycin?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can methotrexate taken last Saturday be a problem with clindamycin antibiotic taken the following Thursday. And should i stop the methotrexate until I finish the 10 day cycle of clindamycin?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes discontinue methotrexate

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX it is recommended that you discontinue methotrexate until you finish your antibiotic course. antibiotics decrease elimination of methotrexate and may increase its side effects. the dose of methotrexate you took on Saturday will not be affected by antibiotic dose on next Thursday . I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng