Does Lomotil interact with Xanax?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I currently take Lomotil (generic form) for occasional IBS type symptoms (particularly when I'm traveling, as I need to this weekend). The Lomotil sometimes helps me manage the stress of traveling (without accidental defecation) to the airport, checking in, long lines of security, etc.
My personal physician recommended a .25 Xanax to "help me" not have so much anxiety about the entire process (I've had numerous "accidents" and had to change clothes in the airport).
Can I anticipate any adverse interaction between Xanax and Lomotil? I've never taken Xanax before and I'm a little nervous about the effect. Thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
sedation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Usually I do not recommend xanax but this may actually be a situation where an occasional low dose xanax would be helpful. A 0.25 mg xanax is very low dose. Both xanax and lomotil can both cause sedation so there would be a chance of increased sedation from the combination but at that low dose of xanax I think it would be negligible.
Most doctors are very cautious about xanax because it is addictive and often abused. It does not work well for long term anxiety because of its short half life (doesn't stay around the body that long) however in your situation it may be very helpful to you.
I suggest that you try the combination at home some time before you try it on a trip or other outing. Then you will know if it is going to cause you to be too sedated. I doubt that it will but you at least will know what effects it will have if you try it at home before you really need it for an outing.
Good luck and I hope it is helpful to you.
K. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson