Ask a Urologist   »  

Does Levofloxacin help cure prostatitis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have been prescribed Levofloxacin for Prostatis. 500mg for 30 days. I got the prescription and handed 4 pages of extra warnings from the FDA....It scared me to death. Is there something else less damaging? I almost fell over reading the pages and pages the Pharmacist handed me.
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take appropriate antibiotic after doing Semen and Urine culture

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

You have been diagnosed to have Prostatitis and has been prescribed Levofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for a month .However you are scarred to take it after going through the literature provided with medicine.

It is a customary and legal compulsion by FDA to issue entire pharmacology of any drug to the patient which includes composition of the drug ,dosage ,side effects etc ,However that does not mean that everybody would get the side effects mentioned in literature.

Since one needs to take antibiotic for 4-6 weeks it is always suggested to do Urine and semen culture and to take appropriate antibiotic as per culture report to get desired results.

You may take Doxicycline twice daily and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotic as per culture report.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Does Levofloxacin help cure prostatitis? 13 hours later
Do i just tell the Urologist this?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can discuss this aspect with your Urologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for following up.

It is always fair to be open to the consultant when you are discussing your issues and doubts with him.

So yes, feel free to discuss this aspect with your Urologist.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.