Does Fluoxetine interact with Omeprazole?

Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: is there an interaction with 10mg fluoxetine and 10mg omeprazole? also if tapering off the fluoxetine can i just take out the powder out of the capsule?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 5 minutes later
fluoxetine indicated to treat depression and omiprazol is antacid there is no interaction. should not take out the powder for adjustment of doses. consult treating doctor.in psychological problem treatment doses cannot be tampered like this
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 13 minutes later
then what is the right way to reduce dosage? if i cant take the powder out..how do i reduce the amount? even if i were to use a lower dosage..i still need a method to reduce to 0 overtime..is there a way?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
go for gel form of drug or change the drug altogather.

Detailed Answer:
take gel or liquid form of drug and can reduce asper requirement or after advise altogether change the preparation and doses as decided by treating doctor.treating doctor is in a position for advising on change. any change you have to take advise of treating doctor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 37 minutes later
thank you for your advice so far, i will take this into account when i see my doctor again. the liquid form or gel form of fluoxetine is not available for me to purchase here. i am currently on prescribed 20mg fluoxetine capsule. 10mg tablets are also unavailable here. is there an antidepressant that i can change to that has the same strength as 10mg fluoxetine that i can reduce over time? you advised i should change antidepressants if need be? which one should i get? thankyou
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar Dash 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
No interaction between the drugs known. Consult clinical psychologist.

Detailed Answer:
One medicine is to treat depression and other is an antacid. There is no known interaction between the two medicine. You can take second opinion. You should not change the doses without doctor's advice.Change of doses or drug is required doctors advice. Continue with the doses as advised, change your life style. Take counseling from naturopath expert.You can also consult clinical psychologist for counseling. Rest of thing should be observed as advised earlier.