Does Combiflam help cure migraine?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Why combiflam is not working on headache\migraine anymore ?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take steps and treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Migraine management is a complex thing.
First step is to prevent attacks.
You should take adequate rest, proper sleep, timely food.
Avoid fasting, stress, skipping meals, excessive tea or coffee or chocolate.
Since you are having frequent headache, you should take prophylaxis treatment like Topiramate, Valproate, amitryptiline, Flunarizine or propranolol.
For pain relief you can try Naproxen instead of combiflam.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 52 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
Thanks for your quick reply.

I would like to inform you that doc i visited previously, did not prescribe me any medicine. he said Migraine is a life time problem such as blood pressure. However if you suggest me to take a treatment i will do so. Could you please explain more about prophylaxis treatment as its an alien term for me. Also, please let me know if i should take each one of these four medication Topiramate, Valproate, amitryptiline, Flunarizine or propranolol or should i just pick anyone of them and when, how and how long should i use them ?

Also, please let me know why Naproxen instead of combiflam and what make it different than other pain killer(please be informed that most of the pain killers dont work on me)

I have been alcoholic for past few years, does alcoholism has any connection with migraine ?

And last question, do you find brain scan to be necessary for me ?

Thanks
Regards XXXXXXX Pundir
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take treatment as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Prophylaxis treatment is required once the frequency of migraine increases and hampers 10-14 days in a month.
You can take any one or two of these medications.
In my patients, I prefer Sibelium ( Flunarizine) 10 mg along with amitryptiline 10 mg at night.
If there is associated sleep disturbances then amitryptiline is increased to 25 mg.
Other options are also available and can be tried if these medications are not of much effects.
These medications needs to be continued for around 6 months.
Naproxen, combiflam, Aceclofenac, mefanemic acid are all having similar effects and can be tried.
Regular pain killers leads to depressed response and increased headache with associated medication overuse headache.
You should discuss the treatment options available with your neurologist too.
Lifestyle modifications are key in managing and reducing headache episodes.
No need of imaging for migraine.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist