Does Bactrim affect the efficacy of the birth control pills?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: How long should one use back up method after antibiotics (bactrim ds for one week). I used my birth control (mono linyah) for 2 weeks of active pills before unprotected sex. I have heard nothing back up and I have heard a month. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
2 weeks after finishing antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Bactrim usually does not effect the efficacy of the birth control pills much. But to be on a safer side it is best to take an extra precaution for two weeks after finishing the antibiotic. Do continue taking the birth control pills as scheduled during this time.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 minutes later
Thank you. I finished a few days into my period, although it was a little light after the uti. I took 3 inactive pills and 14 active pills before unprotected sex.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A period rules out the pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you had a period after the unprotected sex then the pregnancy is ruled out and there is no need to worry now.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
my mistake. I have not yet had one. I took the bactrim during my last period and during my inactive pills. since finishing the bactrim, I have taken 2 weeks of active pills then had unprotected sex.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy not likely.

Detailed Answer:
No need to worry then. If you have taken active pills for two weeks before sex then you are protected.
Regards.