question-icon

Suggest Treatment For Prostatitis

default
Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018
Question: Dear Dr Shoman,

You were right in your diagnosis. It seems that I have Prostatitis. I believe that the PSA and other tests revealed that there were bacteria present so I have been prescribed antibiotics. These are the pills I am meant to take for 14 days:

Voltaren D50 one in morning one at night
Omin Ocas one tab at night
Reparil 2 tabs at morning, afternoon and night
Ciprobay 500 two a day

If it is an infection should I rest and not take exercise (I usually walk 10 kms in the morning) and not take exercise. I also have to take quite a few flights, shoudl I cut down on these?

I understand that it is quite unusual for prostatitis to be caused by bacteria and to be susceptible to antibiotics. Is that the case?

I note that Ciprobay may make one susceptible to tendon injury. Should I cut out running whilst on these tablets?
doctor
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. I understand your concerns about using ciprobay as there is a 70% chance of getting tendonitis and 30% chance of Achilles' tendon rupture when using ciprobay in patients above the age of 60 years old. I would recommend that you get back to your doctor to replace it with another prescription for a penicillin derivative or preferably a third generation cephalosporin..
If you are to use ciprobay I would recommend that you stop all kinds of excersices while using the drug and start gradually after stopping it but don't return to your full excersicing schedule until 6-9 months after stopping it..
You should try to rest as possible and do your daily activities without excertion.. Flying is also ok and not expected to cause any complications.. I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (14 hours later)
Dear Dr Salah,

Thank you very much for your swift and helpful reply. I have now stopped taking Cipro and am on Bactrim (Trimethoprine 160 and Sulfamethoxazole 800).

I dont know whether you consider this is the best safe and effective antibiotic for bacterial prostitis or whether you think something else might be better
doctor
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Bactrim is ok

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again .. Bactria is commonly used effectively in treatment of bacterial prostatitis as the most common organisms causing bacterial prostatitis are ecoli and proteus that are sensitive to Bactrim.. I hope you find this helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 3112 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Suggest Treatment For Prostatitis

Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Dear sir, hello again.. I understand your concerns about using ciprobay as there is a 70% chance of getting tendonitis and 30% chance of Achilles' tendon rupture when using ciprobay in patients above the age of 60 years old. I would recommend that you get back to your doctor to replace it with another prescription for a penicillin derivative or preferably a third generation cephalosporin.. If you are to use ciprobay I would recommend that you stop all kinds of excersices while using the drug and start gradually after stopping it but don't return to your full excersicing schedule until 6-9 months after stopping it.. You should try to rest as possible and do your daily activities without excertion.. Flying is also ok and not expected to cause any complications.. I hope I answered your question.