Suggest treatment for prostatitis

Question
Dear Dr Shoman,

You were right in your diagnosis. It seems that I have Prostatitis. I believe that the PSA and other tests revealed that there were bacteria present so I have been prescribed antibiotics. These are the pills I am meant to take for 14 days:

Voltaren D50 one in morning one at night
Omin Ocas one tab at night
Reparil 2 tabs at morning, afternoon and night
Ciprobay 500 two a day

If it is an infection should I rest and not take exercise (I usually walk 10 kms in the morning) and not take exercise. I also have to take quite a few flights, shoudl I cut down on these?

I understand that it is quite unusual for prostatitis to be caused by bacteria and to be susceptible to antibiotics. Is that the case?

I note that Ciprobay may make one susceptible to tendon injury. Should I cut out running whilst on these tablets?
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again.. I understand your concerns about using ciprobay as there is a 70% chance of getting tendonitis and 30% chance of Achilles' tendon rupture when using ciprobay in patients above the age of 60 years old. I would recommend that you get back to your doctor to replace it with another prescription for a penicillin derivative or preferably a third generation cephalosporin..
If you are to use ciprobay I would recommend that you stop all kinds of excersices while using the drug and start gradually after stopping it but don't return to your full excersicing schedule until 6-9 months after stopping it..
You should try to rest as possible and do your daily activities without excertion.. Flying is also ok and not expected to cause any complications.. I hope I answered your question.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for prostatitis 14 hours later
Dear Dr Salah,

Thank you very much for your swift and helpful reply. I have now stopped taking Cipro and am on Bactrim (Trimethoprine 160 and Sulfamethoxazole 800).

I dont know whether you consider this is the best safe and effective antibiotic for bacterial prostitis or whether you think something else might be better

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bactrim is ok

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, hello again .. Bactria is commonly used effectively in treatment of bacterial prostatitis as the most common organisms causing bacterial prostatitis are ecoli and proteus that are sensitive to Bactrim.. I hope you find this helpful