Do steroids reduce sex drive?

Question
Hello!

A couple weeks ago I had a severe pain in my back behind my left shoulder blade. I finally went to my physician and he put me on a week of steroid tablets. I can't remember the name of them, but the pain subsided immediately and has not returned. I don't know if this could be related, but since then I have had absolutely no libido. This is very odd for me as I am usually very easily aroused sexually. Could this be a side effect of the steroids? I hope it is not long lasting and things get back to normal. lmk thanks.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to estosterone suppression

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for choosing wwwhealthcaremagic
Yes, steroids can reduce your sex derive due to suppression of testosterone production . But you have taken for a very short time so it should be fine in a few weeks.
Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa

Follow-up: Do steroids reduce sex drive? 5 minutes later
thank you. I found the name of the steroids. It is dexamethasone 4mg. I took 2 1/2 tablets for 7 days for a total of 20 tablets. I finished taking them 6 days ago. I thank you for your answer and I hope that this situation is not long lasting as I have never experienced low or no libido before. I am relatively healthy and active in every way.

Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be fine in a few weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I also hope you will be all right in a few weeks.
DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA