• question-icon

Do severe cough, chills and elevated WBC need medical attention?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am 78 and have upper respertory congestion very badly with a horrible cough and chills.. I went to the hospital 3 nights ago, . They took a chest X-ray and blood , my oxygen level was 88 .Said I have a little mass on the lungs and elevated white cell count.
I had pneumonia last year and was hospitalized for 4 days. It's been 3 days and getting no better. They told me to follow up with my Doctor, but he has no openings till Monday. My son is a doctor and said I should go back to the hospital. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
With chills and a mass in teh lungs, at least antibiotics should be served!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. I will suggest that you go back to the hospital. The doctors need to get you on at least antibiotics while thy figure out what else could be going on. Waiting till Monday is a bad idea and I totally support your son in recommending that you return to the hospital for further evaluation and treatment.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah