Do cold sores bleed?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi,
I believe I may have herpes on the top lip but it is unusual in my case because the entire bottom part of the top lip is a light yellow colour, could this be herpes?
I have been applying Zovirax and also taken 4 tablets of valaclovir (four tablets for one day), which was taken for only one day about two days after the first signs of a sore. Still it has been five days since I've taken the valaclovir and the sore has bled recently, is it usual for these cold sores to bleed? What else could be recommended?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Use a topical antibacterial ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Image

This looks like herpes labialis.
However, sinec you have already rightfully completed the course of Oral antiviral i.e valacyclovir 1gm, 2 does, 12 hours apart, therefore, now I suggest you to just apply a topical antibacterial ointment e.g 2% Mupirocin ointment Or Neosporin ointment, twice daily for a few days.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
Thanks Dr. Kakkar,

Is the antibacterial ointment applied in case the open sore has led to bacterial infection? Could I still apply the antiviral ointment at the same time given that the sore still seems to be exuding viral-filled liquid, even if it has no effect on healing time would it help to limit contagion?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibacterial ointment is to prevent or treat secondary bacterial infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

There is no role for topical antiviral in case of herpes labialis. Moreover you have adequately taken Oral antivirals. Antibacterial ointment is applied to prevent Or treat secondary bacterial infection that may have developed.