• question-icon

Do Valsartan, Atorvastatin and Amlodipine cause dizziness?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My mom takes valsartan 320mg, and atorvastatin 20mg. She takes them both in the morning. She is having dizzy spells, and memory problems. Would it be better to take the meds at different times? She also takes amlodipine 5mg in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both cause the side effect of dizziness

Detailed Answer:
Dear , I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. both valsartan and atorvastatin can cause the side effect of dizziness I would recommend that she takes then at different times .
As Valsartan and Amlodipine they have the same active ingredient and they can cause the side effect of confusion and decreased concentration .. so you might need to refer to your doctor to decrease the dose to avoid the side effect of memory problems. I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
I was thinking I could give her the amlodipine 5mg and the atorvastatin 20mg in the morning and the valsartan 320mg at night or vice versa. What would be best?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Valsartan is better taken in the morning

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, it is preferred to take valsartan in the morning to give a better effect controlling the blood pressure. and you can give the Amlodipine and atorvastatin at night. I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman