Suggest blood pressure medication with least amount of side effects

Posted on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Please advise, in your opinion, the best blood pressure medication to take that will cause least side effects
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that all medical drugs have their adverse effect.

The treatment choice is based on individual tolerance and past medical history (including kidney and liver function).

For this reason, I would first like to know your past medical history and comorbidities.

What are your actual blood pressure values?

What is your current medical therapy?

I remain at your disposal for further questions.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 44 minutes later
My blood pressure this morning is 168 / 79. In the past I have taken Lisiniprol 10 mg and it made me very dizzy / lightheaded. I have now been prescribed Losartan 50 mg and am afraid to take it based on all negative reviews I have read from people who have taken this medication. I need to be able to function at work,
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that losartan is a well tolerated drug by most of patients.

It is better tolerated compared to lisinopril.

But, I am afraid that this dose of losartan will not reduce your blood pressure values up to normal levels.

For this reason, I would recommend monitoring your blood pressure and maybe increase the dose as needed up to 100mg per day.

Other reasonable treatment options would be valsartan or olmesartan.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist