Do Atenolol and lisinopril cause gout attacks?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I take Atenolol 50mg and lisinopril/Hctz 20/12.5 for high blood pressure, for the last 3 years I have been having Gout attacks about every month. Can my meds be a contributor? Are there other drugs that are better for me to take instead?
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Water pill (diuretics) leads to increase uric acid

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The water pill (diuretics) like HCTZ are known to increase the uric acid level leading to acute attack of gout, while other medicine which you are taking are safe.
What medicine do you take for gout?
For high blood pressure there are lots of safe drugs are available and they may be given either in form of single or combination.Since,this need follow up, it is better to discuss with your physician.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Do Atenolol and lisinopril cause gout attacks? 17 hours later
Thank you for your reply doctor. I take Indomethacin 50mg once the flare up starts to come on, but nothing to prevent a flare up. Do you have a reccomondation that I should dicuss with my doctor for that? I also take Prolosac (omeprazole magnesium) for GERT, would that be a concern with the gout? Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do you take alopurinol/febuxostat?Prolosac is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It’s good to see you. After going through your suffering, the remedial treatment for gout includes -
1. Pain killer like naproxen, Ibuprofen .along with short course of cortisone.
2. Drugs which lower the uric acid like- allopurinol and febuxostat.These are prescription only drugs so you may have to contact your treating doctor. When the patient is put on allopurinol there may be increase in pain (acute flare up).To counter this pain patient is given anti inflammatory and analgesic drugs along with allopurinol for a month or so. This point should be understood.
It is for the same reason the drug allopurinol is never given during an attack of gout, and it is started only after the pain and swelling has subsided.

To prevent gout attack from occurring, my suggestion would be-
1. Try to keep serum uric acid level below 6mg/decilitre.
2. Drink plenty of water and increase it proportionate to your physical work and weather condition.Take citrus fruit to have your daily dose of vitamin C.
3. Try to avoid stressful situation by better planning, weight control and regular exercises helps.
4. If an attack of Gout occurs while on allopurinol, you should increase the dose besides taking pain killer. You may change to febuxostat if have side effects to allopurinol.
5. Do not discontinue drugs like febuxostat/allopurinol until and unless advised by your doctor to do so.
6. Avoid drugs which may raise the uric acid level like-aspirin, drugs which causes increased urination (Diuretics).
7. Low fat yogurt and milk may lower your risk of gout.

Hope your queries are answered. I shall be glad to answer more.