Do you take alopurinol/febuxostat?Prolosac is safe
It’s good to see you. After going through your suffering, the remedial treatment for gout includes -
1. Pain killer like naproxen
.along with short course of cortisone
2. Drugs which lower the uric acid like- allopurinol
and febuxostat.These are prescription only drugs so you may have to contact your treating doctor. When the patient is put on allopurinol there may be increase in pain (acute flare up).To counter this pain patient is given anti inflammatory and analgesic
drugs along with allopurinol for a month or so. This point should be understood.
It is for the same reason the drug allopurinol is never given during an attack of gout, and it is started only after the pain and swelling has subsided.
To prevent gout attack from occurring, my suggestion would be-
1. Try to keep serum uric acid level below 6mg/decilitre.
2. Drink plenty of water and increase it proportionate to your physical work and weather condition.Take citrus fruit to have your daily dose of vitamin C
3. Try to avoid stressful situation by better planning, weight control and regular exercises helps.
4. If an attack of Gout occurs while on allopurinol, you should increase the dose besides taking pain killer. You may change to febuxostat if have side effects to allopurinol.
5. Do not discontinue drugs like febuxostat/allopurinol until and unless advised by your doctor to do so.
6. Avoid drugs which may raise the uric acid level like-aspirin
, drugs which causes increased urination (Diuretics).
7. Low fat yogurt and milk may lower your risk of gout.
Hope your queries are answered. I shall be glad to answer more.