Dizziness, facial swelling and cold hands. Blood test came back normal. On buprenorphine. What could be the reason?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi. I'm a 27 year old male with no significant health problems. In the last two weeks I have had sudden bouts of dizziness, slight facial swelling, cold hands and the sensation that blood is trapped or rushing to my face. I've had blood tests did that show a normal red and white cell count, normal electrolytes, and no kidney issues. I do take buprenorphine 8mg twice a day for the last year to come off of Hydrocodone I was prescribed after a knee injury and Xanax for anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can be due to many causes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The symptoms that you are having for last two weeks with all the normal blood tests can be related to a generalized viral infection, middle ear problem, abnormal neck positions, hyponatraemia, anxiety, etc. This can also be related to some hormonal changes in the body. It is best to wait for a week and let it subside on its own. In case the symptoms persist then do consult an ENT specialist for a detailed evaluation. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
I appreciate your quick response. I wanted to add to my question that whenever these dizziness symptoms appear I feel like I can't breathe in enough air as though I'm suffocating. It's very frightening. I would appreciate if you have any additional input.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be anxiety related. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The associated feeling of suffocation is suggestive of this to be anxiety related. Cardiac causes also need to be ruled out if this is not relieved after taking Xanax for two weeks. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards