Owl Image

Diagnosed with scoliosis. What treatment and precaution is to be taken?

Owl Image
Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Question
Hello, My 14 year old daughter has been diagnosed with scoliosis, probable double major 49 degree thoracic and 44 degree left-sided thoracolumbar curve. She is only under observation at the moment. My concern is that is could get worse over the next 6 months before next x-rays are taken. Because of the double major would a brace be out of the question as a possible prevention and what exercise is best to avoid pain. Thank you
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 5 hours later
Hello
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
As your daughter is 14years; I assume that she has attained menarche; If that is the case, then chances of an increase in the scoliotic curve in 6 months would be quite low i.e 1-2degrees.But again it is a general statement and each curve would behave differently based on the remaining growth potential of the child.
As she has a double curve, I believe she would look balanced; i.e shoulder and pelvis almost leveled.
as far as the brace is concerned, as the curve has already reached 49 degrees I would not recommend it.
Also, no exercises would help in curve correction or prevention of curve progression.
Let me know if you have more concerns

Follow-up: Diagnosed with scoliosis. What treatment and precaution is to be taken? 11 hours later
Can you answer the part of my first question around what exercise is best to avoid pain. Thank you. Also confirm that i will not be charged for this follow-up as it was part of the orginal question

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 2 hours later
Flexion and extension type exercises learnt under the able guidance of a competent physiotherapist can be helpful in treating such pain.

There are no additional charges for posting your follow-up.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Thank you