Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with relapsing polychondritis and have pain in chest. What should I do to avoid this?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
diagnosed with relapsing polychondritis. both ear cartilages are inflammated. all blood & urine tests including PR3 XXXXXXX IF and other relevant tests are normal and well within the biological limits. Ciproprofloxacin with ibuprofen and paracetmol has given great relief. Simultaneously i am also on homeopathic medicine. Also feeling slight pain in the chest area. ECG and other cardiac related tests are normal. Pls advise.
What should I do to avoid its recurring occurance.

Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Relapsing polychondritis is characterized by destruction of cartilage present in the body. Though cartilage is present in many parts, this disease mostly involves cartilages present in ear, nose, throat, rib cage and rarely heart valves also. This disease may leads to other diseases like vasculitis.
It is an autoimmune disease most probably caused by genetic predisposition, but cause is still unknown. Mainly affected patients are in 50's. It is fatal when it destroys tracheal cartilage leading to collapse of trachea and respiratory failure.

Here, in your case ear cartilages are involved first. But normal ECG and other cardiac tests indicate that heart valves are not involved. But chest pain indicates involvement of the costal cartilages of rib cages
Now, in diagnosis, C-Reactive protein and ESR are the best indicator of the disease progression which are not done. You should consult with your treating doctor for ordering these.
You have to follow the following instructions:
1. Take Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs like diclofenac / paracetamol / ibuprofen group of drugs for pain.
2. You must take one pantoprazole group of medicine once daily in empty stomach.
3. If pain is not relieved by this, then corticosteroids are considered.
4. If it recurs then immunosuppressive drugs like methotrexate are indicated.
5. You should consult with a Rheumatologist for further investigation and management.
If you did not consulted a rheumatologist previously, you must do it now. Do not ignore it. Because it may aggravate anytime. So, be cautious. In my opinion, you should visit a teaching institute in your area, where all departments are under one roof.
Taking homeopathy is totally depends on you.

Basically, to prevent recurrence you have to take the abovementioned drugs after consulting rheumatologist. But, even after meticulous treatment, no guarantee can be given that it will not recur.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with relapsing polychondritis and have pain in chest. What should I do to avoid this? 16 hours later
I have consulted rhematologists available at Hyderabad. Following is the prescription given. Please suggest me further or else connect me to a rhematalogist online for further consultation.

VITANOVA XXXXXXX 1 GM     Vit D     1 XXXXXXX / week mixing with milk for six weeks
ADAMAX CAPS          1 cap in morning
FULL - 365 CAPS          1 cap at night
HCQS TAB 200 MG          1 tab at night except Sunday
FOLINOL TAB 5 MG          1 tab at night except
MEXT 7.5 MG          1 tab in morning and 1 tab at night on sundays only
RABIFAST TAB 20 MG          1 tab at night
WYSOLONE 5 MG          1 tab in morning and 1/2 tab at night
DOLOWIN          1 tab in morning and 1 tab at night SOS

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.

I have read the above prescription. It is the most appropriate treatment for your condition. Except those medicine, you need nothing at present.
Keep following up with the doctor.
I think you do not need to consult an online rheumatologist right now. In future, if you find no improvement in the disease condition, then you can take a second opinion from an online rheumatologist.

Take care.

If you have your answers close this discussion.
Rating and review given by you will be appreciated.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with relapsing polychondritis and have pain in chest. What should I do to avoid this? 44 hours later
I wanted to consult a XXXXXXX Rhemotologist to take second opinion. When I am getting good response with normal antibiotics and normal pain killers, Should I use corticosteriods and immuno suppressive drugs like predinislone and meothtrexate?????

I wish to have an answer from rhemotologist and not general medicine praticioners.
I am also using diabetici medicines like glycomet gp2 and 15 mg piaglitzone.. willit have any affect on sugar levels if i continue with corticosteriods and immuno suppressive drugs????
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Firstly, pain killers and antibiotics will give you result for short time but these will not prevent the disease progression. To stop the disease progression, you have to take steroids and immunosuppressive agents. Because the main causative agent is your immune mechanism.

Secondly, if you want answer from a rheumatologist, then you have to mentioned it during posting the question.

In normal person, corticosteroids increase the blood sugar level mildly. Incase of diabetics, dose of antidiabetic agents should be changed after monitoring the blood sugar level if required.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor