Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with pemphigoid. Treatment guidance?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I have been told that I have pemphigoid. Also that the treament is worse than the desease. Can you help in any way?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
I presume you have bullous pemphigoid. It is characterised by itchy red areas of skin which eventually blister. It is seen in people over 70 years of age. In many the condition wanes off after 5 to 6 years.
Treatment is in the form of topical steroids, topical antibiotics if infected. Severe cases may require systemic steroids, azathioprine, mycophenolate, or a pulse therapy of steroids and cyclophosphamide. A new drug called rituximab also offers good control of the disease.
It is wrong to say that tretment is worse than the disease. Consult a dermatologist so that your lesions can be assesses and topical or systemic therapy can be started.
Hope that helped.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor