Diagnosed with pemphigoid. Treatment guidance?
Thanks for writing to us.
I presume you have bullous pemphigoid. It is characterised by itchy red areas of skin which eventually blister. It is seen in people over 70 years of age. In many the condition wanes off after 5 to 6 years.
Treatment is in the form of topical steroids, topical antibiotics if infected. Severe cases may require systemic steroids, azathioprine, mycophenolate, or a pulse therapy of steroids and cyclophosphamide. A new drug called rituximab also offers good control of the disease.
It is wrong to say that tretment is worse than the disease. Consult a dermatologist so that your lesions can be assesses and topical or systemic therapy can be started.
Hope that helped.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment and cure for polymorphic pemphigoid
- Treatment and cure for pemphigoid gestationis
- Treatment and cure for pemphigoid
- Diagnosed with pemphigoid treatment guidance
- Treatment and cure for Gestational pemphigoid
- Bullous pemphigoid treatment with imuran
- Treatment and cure for cicatricial pemphigoid
- Holistic treatment for bullous pemphigoid
- Permanent treatment of pemphigoid blisters
- Treatment and cure for bullous pemphigoid