Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with myxoid degenerative changes. Having pain. What will help to heal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I have pain in my right knee and went to ahve a MRI, I am now diagnosed with myxoid degenerative changes and was told I have water on my knee. and ? tiny central tear cannot be entirely excluded. My question is will this heal and what can I do to help it heal? I am very active and spend many hours a day on my feet. I am 49 yr female. I bought a ultrasound and want to use it, will this work for the pain?
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

First addressing the myxoid degeneration, it is considered to be a 'pre-injury state', and thus will require special precautions and care. It cannot heal on its own, as it is only considered to be more of a warning signs to upcoming events (as you correctly stated, a ligament tear or even osteoarthritis). Be careful; avoid stress on the knees (twisting or squat like activities). Mild exercise (walking, not brisk walking) and mild weight loss can help take stress of the knees.

Second, the water in the knee is called a knee effusion. Although the treatment depends on the cause (injury, infection, bone disorders, etc.), the various methods of management include:
-Ice packs
-Analgesics (acetaminophen)
-Anti-inflammatory medication (eg. NSAIDs)
-Treatment of cause

Third, coming to the possibility of a tear in the knee. This is a ligament tear. The reason why this will not heal on its own is because ligaments have very less blood supply. Blood contains the healing force; insufficient or inadequate amounts do not help. This is normally treated by surgery.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor