Diagnosed with grumbling appendix. Feeling nauseous and abdominal pain. What should be done?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My Daughter 8 was diagnosed with grumbling appendix 5 days ago - pain has improved slightly, but she still complains her abdomen is tender to touch. She feels nauseous but does not have reduced appetite, pain increases after eating. No fever is present. She has pain on urination and BM - she was xrayed at the A&E and had urine test - both did not show anything. How long should we wait before reseeking medical assistance for her condition.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
I am surprised, as a diagnosis of appendicitis been made and she has not been admitted for observation.
Pain abdomen of such nature needs to be evaluated at least twice daily as per classical teaching to look for any new changes and operate asap when necessary. This is possible only as an inpatient basis.
Having said that, if she has not been admitted, it means things are not that serious.
Having been at home things, that could give a clue are
1.     Persistent vomiting.
2.     Fever.
3.     Increasing abdominal pain.
4.     Not tolerating oral feeds.
5.     Alteration in bowel habits.
If one or more of the above develops, she needs medical advice.
Wishing her good health.
DR GS