Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with enlargement of thyroid lobe,lump visible. FNAC normal, TFS normal. Remove surgically? Use treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
I am 62M. Diagnosed with enlargement of left thyroid lobe and have no physical discomfort. FNAC indicated no malignancy. TFS normal. The lump is visible and it developed most probably during last two years. Should I have it surgically removed or could I wait and watch? Is there any other treatment?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 21 hours later
You most likely have a thyroid nodule which statistically has a 90% chance of being benign in general. However, the presence of other risk factors changes this figure. Details are available on this web link

So for example if one has a family history of thyroid cancer or history of radiation exposure, then greater vigilance is warranted in managing this condition. In the low risk scenario, some people opt to monitor it with periodic ultrasound to see if it is growing significantly. It should be noted that even benign nodules grow.


This web link facilitates online calculation of the growth trend of thyroid nodule(s) over time. Any interval increase of more than 50% indicates the need to consider either an FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration) or a repeat FNA or surgical removal.

The practice of using thyroid medication to suppress the growth of thyroid nodules is now not recommended anymore as recent evidence has shown it is not as effective as previously thought.

Radioactive iodine ablation is not a commonly deployed option either.

The decision making in this regard is best made in consultation with a thyroid expert who periodically monitors the nodule and individually assess risk factors.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor