Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with dementia. CT scan report suggests age related involutional changes. Help understand the findings in report

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6933 Questions
My father has early stage dementia and has recently had a CT scan. The report says: There are age related involutional changes. There is periventricular white matter low attenuation in keeping with small vessel disease. There is some high density noted in the right sigmoid and transverse sinus, which may relate to sinus thrombosis. We asked the Dr what this meant and he didn't really explain so would appreciate your translation to simple language that we can understand.

many thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 39 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

The CT scan report reveals that there are age related changes in the brain tissue.
The brain consists of two types of maters.

The superficial substance is called gray matter and the deeper is called white matter.

The white mater is composed of myelinated nerves (nerves with a covering of a fat layer called myelin).
Senile changes start appearing in the white mater. Senile changes are related to age. These changes include atrophy (shrinkage) of brain tissue especially white mater.

These atrophic changes are responsible for features of dementia or forgetfulness.
These changes are quite expected at 80 years of age.

Besides there are some changes in the vascular channels (blood carrying channels) of the brain. There are broad channels in the brain called sinuses.

One of these sinuses shows features of thrombosis i.e. clotting of blood in these channels.

I hope I am able to explain the report to you in simple words.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor