Diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Squamous Cell Lung Cancer. Suggest

Dr. Lokesh K N

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Lung Cancer
Question: Five years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Metastatic Squamous Cell Lung Cancer. Prior to the diagnosis I was diagnosed for 1 and 1/2 years with Boop (a wrong diagnosis). Do it's been now 6 1/2 years. I have 3 small lymph nodes; pre and para trachia, whose size has not changed in over a year and the SUV fluctuates from 6.6 to 11.7. The last Pet Scan showed the 11.7 decreased to 8.3. My radiation and chemo Oncologist don't know "what is in my chest". Becuase of previous radiation to that area any type of biopsy is NOT possible. What are your thougths regarding this "unusal" finding?
Answered by Dr. Lokesh K N 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry, needs regular follow-up Detailed Answer: Hi, There is no evidence to treat the disease based on SUV, even it can be false positive. Moreover, the SUV can vary depending on your blood sugar and body metabolism. It’s good to hear the size of the lymph nodes have not changed over the time. As the biopsy of the node is not possible, you need to be on regular follow-up with your doctor for any increase in the size of the lymph nodes or primary lung lesion, for early diagnosis of progression of disease and treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Lokesh K N 13 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I have been told by both my Oncologists that my Squamous cell CA of the lung is a "different cancer" because it is INDOLENT. Is it likely that previous chemos have caused the cancer to mutate and that the nodes have now become Carcinoid Cancer Tumors? Both of my Oncologists told me that my Stage 4 Squamous Cell Lung CA was a "differnt" cancer. They said it was Indolent and that I could live a long time like that. Is it possible that 26 chemo infusions could have caused my cancer to mutate and become Carcinoid Cancer?
Answered by Dr. Lokesh K N 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Unusual to cause mutation Detailed Answer: Hi, Squamous cell lung CA behaving so indolent is very unusual, Still rarely possible. According to me it is unlikely the previous chemo infusions would have caused mutation to carcinoid. Either it could be a spread of squamous CA or a separate coexisting carcinoid. For both you need to be regular followup to diagnose the progression of disease early. Hope this helps. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad