What causes severe heat intolerance and frequent bowel movements?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What causes a tremendous heat felt throughout my body lasting a few minutes. I feel really weird at the time although not necessarily nauseous. It's not like a hot flash. Usually I'll have diarrhea after and lay down until it passes.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hormone tests

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your bothersome symptoms.
An overactive thyroid condition can cause heat intolerance and frequent bowel motion.

Another condition called Carcinoid syndrome can lead to symptoms similar to the ones you are reporting.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your last 3 months' glucose average). Also known by other names such as GlycoHemoglobin or Glycated Hemoglobin or A1c
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH (checks your thyroid)
Free T4 (this too checks your thyroid) 24 hour urine 5HIAA
25 hydroxy Vitamin D levels (ideal range 40 to 60 ng/ml = 100 to 150 nmol/liter)

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day Correct diagnosis and treatment requires the opportunity to examine the patient so you must see an endocrinologist in-person.