Diagnosed with GERD. Feeling cold, dizzy and nausea. Are these related to heart or stomach problem?

Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla

Posted on Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Heart Attack
Question: I have had two bouts of dizziness and nausea. one last night as I was in bed,and another,with cold swea t this morning after breakfast.
I do not know whether these symptoms are heart related or stomach related.My mother is also diabetic,I was once diagnosed with GERD ,but was also observed for heart problems. I do not have heart problems.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

With the little information that you have written about - I would definitely not able to tell you to which system the cause belongs to. As such - nausea, dizziness and cold sweats irrespective of time and food would need a clinical review. I would outline the following important considerations just for your information : (obviously diagnostic possibilities exist out of this list)

1. Orthostatic hypotension.
2. Latent Diabetes Mellitus. Hypo/hyperglycemia can both cause symptoms.
3. Ear pathology - latent infection.
4. Anemia - ? blood loss - GERD/Ulcer related/post-menopausal

I would suggest at this stage, the best would be to dwell in depth into your existing symptoms and check your vitals etc in the medical examination along with essential reports of blood tests, ECG/echo etc. The treatment will be based on forthcoming findings. And ascertain your current GERD/Diabetes status too.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you you stay indoors and XXXXXXX not drive. And avoid strong odors/oily foodstuffs. Try partially burnt toast the next time nausea sets in.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.