Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

Diabetic. Which medicine should I take for arthritis pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
what can I take for arthritis pain that want hurt my kindeys see im a diabetic and took me off Morton 4 months a go?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I am particularly happy that you are concerned with your kidney function, especially as you gt diabetes and hypertension, which are potentially harmful to kidneys , especially if not well managed.
I would start by recommending a routine kidney function test in your basket of routine tests every 6 months.
Depending on the results of the test, and the particular arthritic pain, a drug, appropriate for the condition might be selected. What type of arthritis pain, is it rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus, psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis?
Depending on the case, a particular drug, considering your past history shall be selected. Generally used drugs are steroids, methotrexate, hydroxychloroquine, simpla analgesics like acetaminophene and caffeine, morphines. But all these are diagnosis and patient tailored.
I strongly suggest you get a consultation first with your rheumatologist to get a proper diagnosis. And based on the diagnosis, and results of your kidney function test, an appropriate drug shall be prescribed. I know you might be expecting an immediate and easy response, but humbly and honestly feel its better to be safe and be more specific. This shall also help in monitoring and evaluating success of our treatment if the diagnosis is actually known.
Thanks and I hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor