• question-icon

Diabetic. Rashes on body after chicken pox infection. Can this be completely cured by medication?

Posted on Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi.
My husband (34 yrs old) has just come out of an extensive varicella (chicken pox). He had developed complications such as high grade fever,severe stomach ache and more than 90% of his face,back,chest, stomach and hands were covered in chicken pox lesions. My husband is Type 2 diabetic too. He was treated in a local hospital and was in an isolation room in ICU for4 days. He was treated with IV aciclovir with other antibiotics and insulin to get the sugar levels down. The sugar levels were in the range of 280+ when he was admitted to hospital.The varicella has swept his body like a wildfire and has made him very weak. The current status is that he has been discharged from hospital and is at home isolated from rest of the family. The lesions have crusted and have started to fall but its just too many of it. Full body is covered in black spots of varying shapes and sizes. He has been prescribed Cetaphil lotion and cleanser to be applied twice a day. Medicated shampoo (Keragloo - AD) and soap (Soapex) for bath and a sunscreen lotion. He is also on vitamin pills, folic acid,becosule and medicines for controlling his sugar levels. After discharge from hospital on 29th March 2013 he completed a course of zovirax oral tablets. Our queries are:-
1.) Is the diagnosis and treatement correct.
2.) What is the time frame for post varicella recovery.
3.) Will the face and body regain its old complexion.
4.) Face is red and spotty. How long does it take to recover.
5.) Any additional recommendation to avoid scars and other complications.
6.) I was the first one to get infected with chicken pox. We got our son ( 13 months old) vaccinated 2 days after my symptoms started. Mine was a normal case and I have fully recovered now.My son too got chicken pox 2 days befor my husband started showing the symptoms but he too had a mild impact and has recovered. The concern now is that my husband is still recovering,is there any possibility that our son can get any infection from my husband even though we got him vaccinated and he had chicken pox too which is cured now.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

First, I would appreciate your history presentation in an elaborate way. This did help me to arrive at the answers to your query as below:

1) Yes, the diagnosis and the entire treatment till the cosmetic prescription are perfectly right.

2) The time for recovery differs from person to person and also depends on the severity and whether infection is first time or for the second time in life. On a whole it may not take more than 21 days in most.

3) Yes, the skin does come back to its previous complexion but there will be few scar marks. Using Cetaphil lotion will prevent scars to maximum extent.

4) The hyperemia in the face may subside after 21 days and the immature scars may disappear after a period of 2 months.

5) Do apply a Calamine based lotion along with Cetaphil lotion to get rid of the scar marks. Other complications like gastrointestinal upset, hyperemia disappear on their own over some time.

6) No, your child now is out of danger. Need not worry; he cannot get the infection as his immunity would have stepped up against Chicken pox specifically.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Thanks for the clarifications !!
1.) What is the best way to dispose off the falling swabs. Are the swabs still contagious?
2.) Please suggest product names for calamine based lotion that you are suggesting to use. Calosoft was prescribed when legions were water filled. Should we continue using it?
3.) Is there any way to speed up the recovery process considering current status and medical history of my husband that I provided?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

1) No, swabs may not be contagious but it’s good to dispose them in a container containing disinfectant like Cetrimide or spirit and then discard.

2) Yes, you can continue using Calasoft. It does serve the purpose.

3) He is already on medications like Folic acid and multivitamin which do help in speeding up the recovery in terms of strengthening the immunity and healing the affected tissues.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Raju A.T