Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Developed boil on buttocks. Having pain and feeling feverish. Remedy?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
My Daugther is 2 year old. A boil has developed on the upper side of her buttocks (last 7 days) which is redish in color and nearby skin is hard and there is no pus devepoed yet but she is feeling lot of pain and slight feveish also. Please suggest the remedy to treat this to avoid further complication.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

It is looking like a boil or an evolving abscess which is due to bacterial infection most probably.

If the boil is superficial like a pustule or pyoderma, local antibiotic cream like mupirocin application over the lesion for 5 to 7 days is sufficient.

If it is large, with systemic signs like fever, it requires oral antibiotic for an appropriate duration in addition to local antibiotic cream.

For pain and fever you can give antipyretic like paracetamol or ibuprofen in prescribed dose.

Physical examination is important to know whether it is a simple boil or there is any underlying abscess.

If there is an abscess with pus, it should be drained under aseptic precautions by a doctor in addition to the use of antibiotic.

Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for the examination of the child and for appropriate management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor