Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Delayed period with nausea, brown spotting, urine pregnancy test negative. Should I go for blood test?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
my period is late for one day, I have nausea after eating and around noon from past week; I was supposed to get my period yesterday (and from two, three weeks ago I have period like cramps) but I have brown spotting instead.I took a pregnancy test 3 days ago and today but it was negative, I am not sure if is it still too soon for hCG hormone to be shown in my urine? or it will be other issues. If I get blood test does it show the hormone level now?My period is so irregular and sometimes I get it very late but normally as soon as I get brown discharge it will start. This time though I got that spotting exactly at correct time but for two days only very little spotting happened and no blood.
P.S: around three weeks ago I had ultrasound and hystonography from abdomen, pelvis and uterus and they told me it was clear(negative).
I am not sure but I think recently I have a little bit intolerance from some specific smells.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later

Thank you for your health concerns.

It is reasonable still to consider early pregnancy in the differential. Since you have urine HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin ) would detect hormone starting the day after you miss a period, but this is not perfect.

A reasonable course of action would be to wait a bit more (eg. 1 week) and obtain a serum HCG instead of urine at that time.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best, blessings,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN USA

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor