Cystitis cured after taking antibiotic. Recurs after sexual intercourse. Prescribed HRT. Any advice?

Dr. Samik Basu

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have had cystitis since October 2012 and keep being prescribed antibiotics which are obviously not working. I have suffered with this problem on and off for years but it normally clears with antibiotics. I am nearly 50 so not sure if age is something to do with it and have also been prescribed HRT, the cystitis seems to occur after sex, please can you advise? I have tried all the over the counter products and again they do not work. the cystitis i get now is normally chronic, feeling sick, stomach ache, very cloudy urine, very strong, unpleasant smelling and bloody.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for writing to us.
I need you to answer a few questions.
1.Does your partner have a similar problem?
2.Is it usually after sexual intercourse or you had attacks without sexual intercourse too?
3.Do you or your partner suffer from some form of sexually transmitted disease?
4.Do you use a condom?
5.Do you perform anal intercourse?
If the cystitis usually occurs after sexual intercourse, you need to have a urine test of yourself and your partner at the same time.
The symptoms mentioned by you are usually seen in a both of which can be sexually transmitted.
Kindly get a vaginal swab test done along with an urine examination.Avoid sexual intercourse for a while until all the tests come normal.
Take lots of fluids and maintain good hygiene of your private parts.
If the problem is recurrent, then you need to have a cystoscopy examination done by an urologist.
If you have any further queries, do let me know.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli