Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Could i possibly be reinfected with H. pylori inspite of my stomach pain and bloating?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1290 Questions
I was once dx with Hpylori...many years ago. I was treated with antibiotics. As the years past I had had lots of stomach problems....but after many scopes on both ends doctors have came back empty-handed. Now I have a pain feels like right on top of my stomach and I'm bloated all the time. Could I possible had pylori again....and what's the best way to check...when I first had it we tested my stool. Now they say you can test it by blowing in this this a accurate way of testing for it?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 4 hours later
Brief Answer: reinfection is possible, breath test is accurate Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to HCM. This is Dr. Ashish Verma, a general surgeon, answering to your query. Yes, it is possible to get reinfected with H. pylori. And your symptoms are classical of gastritis. You can get yourself tested by blowing in the tube...urea breath test....the test is highly accurate, the sensitivity and specificity are very high and range from 90 to 98% and from 92 to 100%, respectively. Till then you need to again start on a ppi tablet like pantaprazole, but it will be more better, as you are also having bloating, to add a prokinetic drug also, like levosulpride....but for the prescription you need to see your local doctor. Also, a few dietary restrictions will greatly help, like avoiding tea, coffee, spicy foods and soda drinks. Hope, that I have answered to all your queries. If you have further queries, i will be glad to answer them. Get well soon. Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor