Ask a Urologist   »  

Could Premarin vaginal cream and Estradiol-Norethindrone intake result in elevated ALT levels?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015
Excellent

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
I am currently on Premarin vaginal cream for treatment of reoccuring UTI's. I am also on a Estradiol/Norethindrone tablet for treatment of hot flashes. My question is could this result in an elevated ALT's (42) ?
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to estrogen

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
Premarin and estradiol are both estrogen hormone.
Estrogen is known to increase the liver enzyme levels of ALT and AST.
Other causes like jaundice due to infection and hepatitis should be ruled out if any symptoms are there.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN

Follow-up: Could Premarin vaginal cream and Estradiol-Norethindrone intake result in elevated ALT levels? 22 hours later
If hepatitis can be ruled out, which I believe I do not have and I am not jaundiced would you recommend stopping my estrogen medication. Because my labs were normal last year when I was only on estradiol. I just started taking Premarin in July of this year.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stop estrogen

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I will suggest you to repeat the LFT after one month.
If still increasing, then you should stop the estrogen, both the tablet and the cream.
Dr Deepti Verma

Follow-up: Could Premarin vaginal cream and Estradiol-Norethindrone intake result in elevated ALT levels? 2 hours later
Thank you. Will do. I will followup with my family practitioner

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I am happy to have helped you.
You can get back to me for further queries by asking a direct question to me on this site.
Dr Deepti Verma